Thursday, August 1, 2013

I'm Retiring


Well, from the Peace Corps, that is. 

Sometimes the pictures that get posted to facebook can be misleading and you may wonder if I get any work done or if it's all just play.  All the play is what keeps me sane and in the village sweating and working like mad.  I managed to squeeze in quite a bit of work in my last week.  I held one last re-usable sanitary pads training.  I introduced and briefly showed the Orphan and Vulnerable Children Association how to use solar cookers and was able to give them 10 as an income generating project for the group.  I helped a fellow PCV with a Health day and taught on malaria, of course.  And I was able to secure and hang LLIN’s (Long Lasting Insecticide-treated Nets) for all the boarding students at Namboboto Secondary School. 

I'm feeling good about going out.  

If you had told me 2 years ago this is what my days would be filled with I would've been like wait, what.  I don't know anything about any of that.  Now, I'm finding it hard to imagine my life without nets, malaria talks, and cutting sanitary pad materials to the point I bruise my knuckles where the scissors lie.  I am grateful for new experiences and all that I never thought I could do that I was able to have my hands in the past 2 years.  

Sanitary Pad Making - They are in the Zone!


Solar Cookers

I ran out of rope to hang nets from the rafters.  So ya, on the spot, I decided to recycle an old dirty torn net for rope.  Boom!

Using old net rope to hang across the rafters.  (I'm still in awe at how brilliant this was.)  

I really am going to miss my life of nets.  


BEFORE


AFTER!

The students have been sleeping under their nets for 3 nights now.  When I went to visit today I was bombarded with so many 'thank you's and 'you must really care about us.'  'You have saved our lives.'  'We can sleep better now.'

The workday doesn't get much better.     



2 comments:

  1. so awesome, Sarah, so proud of you and the work you have done. blessings on you and travelling safety! hope to see you soon. - Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  2. We thank God that you came through this adventure safely.

    We will continue to pray for you as you re-enter your home culture, knowing that you will not be the same person who left.

    You are blessed.

    ReplyDelete