Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Re-usable: So that means I can throw it away?






Every Wednesday I facilitate a training on the making of re-usable sanitary pads to a group of 25 girls.  When I have finished training all the girls at one school I move to the next.   Up until today I hadn’t run into any hesitation about the use of the pads.  In fact the majority have always been very excited about this option.  Most of the girls are ecstatic and have literally cheered at the idea of learning how to make the pads.  However, today I got some scowls and many questions.  This is a new concept for them…the re-usable part.  Even after explaining, I get asked at every training, while the girls are sewing, “so we throw this away after use?”   “No, no you wash them.”  Dear God that would be a lot of effort to make a pretty pad just to throw it away.  “Well, how do I wash it?”  “Just like you wash your clothes.”  “But with what?”  “With laundry soap.”  “So, I don’t throw it away?”  “No, it is re-usable.  Use it, wash it, use it again.  Please don’t throw it away”  “So I can wear it for 4 days?”  “Not 4 days straight.  Use it until you need to change it.”  “How long do I use it?”  “You have to gauge that, but until it is uncomfortable.  Change when you think you need to.” 


“Do you use these in America?”  Ouch that question hurts a bit and I feel guilty.  Not that I had any control of where I was born, or where they were born and how because where I was born I don’t have to worry about this, but I do I feel guilty.  How do I explain that no we don’t.  This isn’t an issue that our girls even have to think about.  “Sarah is this what you use?”  Swfikxvbcn, Can I just skip over that question.  And the guilt stabs me in the heart.  While I am living in their village and have adapted much to their lifestyle I am still fortunate enough to live differently. 

But here when the average girl and family cannot afford appropriate products the re-usable pad is an attempt to remedy that.  To the girls that weren’t on board with the whole re-usable part I asked, “Are you able to purchase Always sanitary pads?”   “No, we cannot afford them.”  “Ok, so what do you use?”  To that question I got…blankets, cotton, sponges, nothing we stay at home.  That is hard to hear and crushes the heart.   “Ok, well now you know how to make re-usable pads for yourself and you can purchase all the materials in the market for a fraction of the cost of all the materials you just listed to me.”   *It costs about 20 cents to make one pad and it’s RE-USABLE!  This is cheaper than blankets, cotton, and sponges and crafted for this. 


Some of the girls today were still not sure.  Behavior change can be disheartening and can get under your skin.   Makes me question if this project is effective, beneficial, a good use of my time or theirs, or if I’m just bringing one more thing to the forefront of how Americans don’t have to worry about such things.   It’s not fair.  But that’s how it is and I’m trying to change that at least a little.  Is this helpful?  I hope so.  In theory I believe it could be, but I can’t answer that just yet. 
(And no I’m not implying that Americans don’t have things to worry about.  I have many conversations with Kenyans explaining that no we [Americans] don’t all have everything and money isn’t just handed to us, and yes there are poor people, and homeless people, and hungry people in America.  Which shocks them and I’m not certain they believe me.)  And now I’m off topic.  That’s how I do. 

I’ve been away from America for a year now and living the village life and yet some days and conversations are still hard to stomach. 

Ever since I got home this evening I’ve been mulling over how I have never ever had to even think about using a sponge. 

No girl should ever have to.  And yet they do.  

7 comments:

  1. YAY PADS!! I <3 these projects.

    If it makes you feel any better, with everyone going green, re-useable sanitary products are big business in America now, too. If you check out Etsy and sites like that, you'll see SCORES of shops selling re-useable pads (for WAY MORE than 20 bob!) There are also Diva Cups, which have been around for at least 10-15 years ... I showed mine to my Kenyan co-workers and after they got over the "That is the most disgusting/wrong/shameful thing I have ever heard in my life" initial reaction, they thought it was fascinating, and maybe a good thing for Kenyan women.

    So yeah, we DO use them in the US :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan - Thanks for the info. I hadn't even thought to put the diva cup in that category. I will change my response to the girls from now on!

      Delete
  2. Wow FF. The experiences you are able to share with those girls, and the experiences you will be able to share when you return to the states will make even those toughest of conversations worth it. What a job you have - and I'm not just talking about the re-useable sanitary pad part - but all of it. You are making an impact on so many lives. I admire you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Britt-
      I'm gonna need to make a trip to see you, your home, and meet the hubs when I get back. Miss ya and love ya my friend!

      Delete
  3. Before you were born, Nora Ephron challenged the Wellesley class of 1966 with these words: “Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. I also hope you will choose to make some trouble on behalf of women.”

    Thank you for working on behalf of women (and girls and men and boys) in Kenya. I'm so proud of the work you are doing, especially when it is uncomfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Prose -
      I LOVE that quote. Thanks for posting it. And thank you for your continued support in my life. It means a lot.

      Delete
  4. This is hard for us to read or want to believe, but it's good for us to read. We take so much for granted (even simple things). Thank you for what you do, Sarah. You are a blessing to those you are serving and to us back home who get to share the stories.

    ReplyDelete