Wednesday, April 18, 2012

BAMM - Blog About Malaria Month


BAMM – Blog About Malaria Month.  So I got a late start.  No surprise there.  But I’m on it now.  Actually you might remember I had malaria just a few short months ago.  I blogged about it so in a sense I was ahead of the BAMM game.   Go ahead High-5 me!  Because I just did!



World Malaria Day is April 25th!  I am having a WMD event and will let ya know how it goes.   Watch for that.  You best believe I’m coming at malaria with a vengeance.  It did a number on me.  Many of you have continued to ask how I’m doing and let me assure you that I have been back to 110% for a while now.  Enough about me; lets talk malaria.  Stick with me on this. 

Malaria is caused by a parasite that is passed from one human to another by the bite of infected Anopheles mosquitoes. After infection, the parasites (called sporozoites) travel through the bloodstream to the liver, where they mature and release another form, the merozoites. The parasites enter the bloodstream and infect red blood cells.

Symptoms
-Flu-like symptoms – to the max! -Anemia -Shaking Chills -Coma 
-Convulsions -High Fever -Headache -Muscle pain –Nausea –Sweating -Vomiting


I’m not one for throwing out statistics.  I don’t like how it reduces a person to a number.  But I am about to list stats because I want there to be a grasp of the situation at hand. 

The CDC estimates that there are 300-500 million cases of malaria each year, and more than 1 million people die from it.

On average, 1,500 cases of malaria are reported every year in the United States, even though malaria has been eradicated in this country since the early 1950's.

3.3 billion people (half the world’s population) live in areas at risk of malaria transmission in 109 countries and territories.

35 countries (30 in sub-Saharan Africa and 5 in Asia) account for 98% of global malaria deaths.

Malaria is the 5th cause of death from infectious diseases worldwide (after respiratory infections, HIV/AIDS, diarrheal diseases, and tuberculosis).

Malaria is the 2nd leading cause of death from infectious diseases in Africa, after HIV/AIDS.

Malaria is one of the leading causes of morbidity and mortality in Kenya and it kills an estimated 34,000 children under five in Kenya every year.

77% of Kenya’s population lives in areas where the disease is transmitted.

25 million out of a population of 34 million Kenyans are at risk of malaria.

An estimated 170 million working days are lost to the disease each year in Kenya.

The most vulnerable group to malaria infections are pregnant women and children under 5 years of age.

Malaria is preventable and treatable

An estimated 655,000 people died of malaria in 2010

Malaria deaths have fallen by more than 25% since 2000

Malaria costs Africa $12 billion annually


Malaria is a huge burden on a community.  It steals time, money, and lives. 

Peace Corps has 3,000 volunteers in 23 countries working to end malaria.

A pretty awesome group of kids I used to work with back in the States will be learning about malaria and raising money to purchase malaria nets during VBS (Vacation Bible School) this summer.  I am partnering with them and will be buying and distributing malaria nets to members of my community in Namboboto.  I will say more on this to come in the summer. 

When you see this…


I don’t care how you get rid of it…stomp it, squash it, smack it, slap it, crush it, spray it, mash it, punch it, end it. 





Stats and information came from these sites. 
cdc.gov
USAID.gov
Malarianomore.org
Healthnytimes.com

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding us of a baby-killer that does not have to be allowed to go on killing. We in the world lack the love of God, and love to have things more than people.
    Keep blogging! You express it so well!
    You make me so homesick! I lived in Africa more than anywhere else in this world. It truly captures a portion of one's heart and never lets go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm here to give my testimony how I was cured from HIV, I contacted my HIV via blade. A friend of my use blade to peel of her finger nails and drop it where she use it, so after she has left i did know what came unto me i looked at my nails, my nails were very long and I took the blade which she just used on her own nails to cut of my finger nails, as i was maintaining my names, i mistakenly injured myself. I did even bother about it, so when I got to the hospital the next week when i was ill the doctor told me that I am HIV positive, i wondered where did i got it from so i remembered how I use my friend blade to cut off my hand so i feel so sad in my heart to the extent that i don’t even know what to do, so one day i was passing through the internet i met a testimony of a lady that all talk about how she was cured by a doctor called DR Imoloa so i quickly emailed the doctor and he also replied to me and told me the requirements which i will provide and I do according to his command, he prepare a herbal medicine for me which I took. He message me the following week that i should go for a test which i did to my own surprise i found that i was HIV negative. He also have cured for all kinds of incurable diseases like: Huntington's disease, back acne, chronic kidney failure, Addison's disease, Chronic Disease, Crohn's Disease, Cystic Fibrosis, Fibromyalgia, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Fungal Nail Disease, Paralysis, Celia Disease , Lymphoma, Major Depression, Malignant Melanoma, Mania, Melorheostosis, Meniere's Disease, Mucopolysaccharidosis, Multiple Sclerosis, Muscle Dystrophy, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer Disease and so many. Thanks to him once more the great doctor that cured me dr. Imoloa so you can also email him via drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com or what'sapp him on +2347081986098.. God Bless you Sir.

    ReplyDelete