Monday, September 12, 2011

Karibu nyumbani yangu!

Karibu nyumbani yangu.  Welcome to my home.  The rope is my clothes line.  

My living room


My Roman wall, so naturally, this is one of my favorite things about my home.


Close second to my Roman wall.


And then there's this beauty.  I have a rad PC bestie who gave me that special find.  Kenya has random pics of equally random kids.  No worries, I repaid her and will continue to give her a pic everytime I see her.  With hopes that she will have the entire collection by the time our 2 years is over. 



My room.  Seriously, that's all there is to it. My bed, a chair, and my beloved mosquito net that keeps bugs, lizards, bats, and their poop away from me at night.  


My spare bedroom/closet.  I plan on having another bed made for visitors.  (ahem, family and friends!)  Dressers are over rated and I never liked putting my clothes away anyhow.  Plastic chairs get the job done. 


My kitchen.  I'm in here ALOT!  Girl likes to eat and everything takes preparation here.  Also, you can see my row of buckets.  Can't have enough of these in my life.  I use them for everything.  Each has it's own purpose...storing water, washing dishes, washing my hands, purifying water, washing clothes, bathing, and yep I have an "oh crap" bucket when it's too dark to use the choo outside or if I get sick.  Pretty jealous of my life right about now, ya!?  


And this is how I cook.  Kerosene stove and jiko.  With the jiko you have to use paper, sticks, and charcoal.  It's kind of an involved process and you get super dirty.  It's the short rainy season right now, so it rains everyday around the time I want to start cooking.  For these reasons, the jiko doesn't get used that much right now. 


This ends the tour of my home.  

4 comments:

  1. Sarah I have been catching up on your blog and I love it. It is so interesting. You are an excellent writer and I cannot wait until your next post. Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. So some parts of this are much better than I would have expected. Others, not so much. Never thought about the mosquito net keeping out lizards and bats! Yikes!!! I love seeing your home though and picturing you there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! Ya, I am pretty lucky. I'm living in the "posh" corps. Some of my friends, not so lucky. However, others have western toilets and running water. So I'm somewhere in the middle as far as living goes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for posting Sarah! I too love being able to picture you in your home. It looks cozy.....very impressive living quarters. Glad things are continuing to go well for you. Prayers for you each and everyday!

    ReplyDelete